4.27.2009

after all

Sasha thought she would have been satisfied after all was said and done. Papers signed. A done deal. But really she didn't feel much different from before. She was Rhys' wife now. It was a somber occasion. And she didn't feel like celebrating.

"What do you mean, you're tired?" Rhys squinted as if she was making a fuss now.

"Go on, have a drink on me," she just said, wishing he'd go down stairs and have himself a party all by his lonesome. Wasn't that what he wanted?

"No, I want to stay with you. I chose you and this it where I should be." He had his arm around as they got cozy on the couch.

"Oh." She swallowed back the temptation to tell him she thought he was the biggest liar she ever met.

"I'll call my brother. Tell them to come up. Let them know the news." He smirked.

"Don't." She felt quite sad. Really, there was no need to spread it around town. Everyone would know soon enough.

"Why not?" Rhys squinted then.

"I dunno." She shook her head. "If we don't expect so much, then maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised."

"Pleasantly surprised." Rhys looked into her eyes then. And she thought she saw who he really was now. Someone who'd lost his way and found it. Perhaps. Perhaps not. Perhaps he would be the cad he always was. He couldn't help himself, evidently.

Really, she was too tired to think on it. Maybe she was Mrs. Ashworth now, but it really didn't feel like an accomplishment.

3 comments:

ellie said...

What has Sasha done?

em said...

ellie took the words right out of my mouth hehe:)

em

Cait said...

I think she's her very own worst enemy.