5.26.2009

the ability

Newt's grades were much better than he imagined.

"I don't see how?" He scratched the back of his head. It must have been an error of some sort. "You sure you didn't fix it by chance for me?" He winced, thinking of all the summer classes he'd need to catch up.

"What?" Billy took the letter from Newt since he hadn't had the chance to go to the school and look at his grade under glass like his classmates. "No, how could I?"

"Someone must be looking out for me," Newt shrugged thinking it couldn't be that Russ teacher. He had it in for him, now didn't he.

"Your grade is really high in the sciences!" Billy was ecstatic. "It looks like you're a candidate for nursing studies, just more testing."

"Yes, more testing, revisions, will it ever end?" Newt thought what a headache it would be.

"You know you have to." Billy looked at him then in their room. "For Liam's sake if nothing else. If you take this path its sure to give you both a better future."

"And what of you, aye? Why don't you see if there is a chance to-"

"Look, we have to make ends meet." Billy shrugged. "Long ago, you are suppose to know what's expected of you."

"And I don't know how this came about with the nursing studies." Newt was still puzzled about that, wasn't he the one who was mental, and he needed to hone in on his mechanical abilities as if he'd be prepared to work on lawn mowers for the rest of his life.

"Don't question it, just do it." Billy advised him.

"But couldn't you be in the theater, perhaps?" Newt vaguely remembered some such thought of it.

"No."

"I thought you put that all off just because of your folks telling you that wasn't real work." Newt remembered.

"They wanted me to go into accounting," Billy sighed. "Can you imagine me a numbers cruncher?"

"I dunno." Newt smiled.

"Don't worry about me," Billy put his arm around Newt. "We need to get you situated in being the best you can be." Billy sat him right down then to get on the lap top and find out what was available. "A mind is a terrible thing to waste."

3 comments:

em said...

A mind is a terrible thing to waste, that was my favorite line:)

dapper kid said...

Congrats to Newt :) I do wonder what both of them will do in the future, it would be good to see them doing something challenging but fun!

Cait said...

Its nice to see something good to happen to Newt.