7.20.2009

either way

It was lunchtime and Gemma had gone out of her way to make everyone chicken salad back at the bus. She could do her share and not make it cost a fortune. Of course, she'd gotten the lagers too. She was trying to be friendly.

"I want you to know, you shouldn't be so ruff on Ian." Fletch told her and he dug into the crisps.

"I'm not being ruff." Gemma smiled as if he didn't know her.

"Ian's ex is having her baby. He's hurting." Fletch nodded and Gemma thought it was the funniest line she'd ever heard. She couldn't help laughing.

"Is he, really?" She shook her head. "And what am I suppose to do about it?" She winced.

"Just give it a rest. Be nice to him."

Gemma scowled at that. She hugged herself wondering what an ugly cow Ian thought she was.

"It wouldn't do any good." She winced wanting to kick something as she fell back in a bus seat wanting to be all by her lonesome.

She saw Fletch take the sandwiches and lager back to his little private area of the bus where Lauren was. Gemma knew she'd better get off the bus and let them alone. So she got out, looking around for Ian. He was no where in sight.

Her face flushed with tears. She felt as if everything was going from bad to worse. It was a terrible life wherever she went. What had she done to her karma?

She turned and there was Ian with a bag of something spicey. Hot noodles with curry.

"I guess I couldn't top that." She hugged herself.

"Are you hungry?" He asked.

"No, I ate." She hadn't, but she wouldn't dare want to be an expense to him.

"Why are you out here?"

"Fletch is uh, busy with Lauren." She nodded.

"Naturally." He sighed. "I'll put this in the fridge. You want to go out to the carnival with me."

"I guess. I have nothing else to do." She shrugged.

"All right." He went on the bus then. She was sure he'd find something else to do, but he bounced rigth off the bottom step. "It could rain, you know." He looked up at the sky.

"Doesn't matter to me." She was solemn. He put his arm around hers as if they were old friends and could do this. In spite of everything.

"Me, either." Ian sighed.

Sasha has her baby

4 comments:

ellie said...

I hope they can make up.

past the point said...

This was nice they are doing something together.

cait said...

Hopefully, they've made up!

Winnie said...

I liked the end of this.