7.30.2009

where it counts

Colin hadn't seen Jamie in ages.

"I know I've been in this kitchen far too long." He was still in his apron as it was at the Black Cat, and he gave Jamie a taste of the cherry crumb crunch that just came out of the oven.

"Its might good." Jamie nodded.

"Just a bit a cream to go with it. People ask for it now." Colin smiled with satisfaction. The pub had more than just lager to offer.

"I have to tell you something," Jamie said. "I've put it off far too long. Its time you knew."

"Knew what?" Colin squinted.

"About our little brother." Jamie gritted.

"We have a little brother?" Colin laughed as if it were a joke.

"You were in boarding school. It was a tragic time. Look, its complicated." Jamie was getting nervous now. "He's a half brother. And well, he's been told I'm his father."

"What are you trying to tell me?" Colin wasn't sure if they needed a lager or some brandy to choke down this talk.

"He was born right before mother died. Sebastian's been in Paris all this time with his father who he thinks is his brother."

"Well, at least you didn't father Mum's kid." Colin almost laughed. He guessed the joke wasn't that funny.

"Louie wasn't much older than Sebastian when he fathered him. He was 16. We were young." Jamie couldn't wait to have that brandy.

"What are you trying to tell me? You were more than friends with this Louie?" Colin poured them a drink. "Lovers?" Colin scowled.

Jamie nodded.

"Are you going to tell him the truth?" Colin squinted hard.

"I will. I just want to get to know him first." Jamie decided as he drank up what Colin gave him.

"So I'm an uncle? Not a brother?" Colin stared at Jamie.

"We're still family." That's what counted.

Sebastian & Anita

6 comments:

e.l. said...

that must have been a lot to absorb about a family member you didn't know about. I like that Colin is cooking.

Anonymous said...

Are you a supper fan of Hollyoaks aged 13-17? If so, you may be interested in a top secret project. Please get in touch with me if you would like more info!

Ivyoaks said...

I'm not really sure how to get ahold of you. I am working on something about Anita & Theresa though.

em said...

I have to say that was an interesting talk. But yes, they are still family.

past the point said...

I think they are closer now than they were.

Winnie said...

I love that last line...and oooh Cherry crumb crunch? yum!