10.07.2009

is it weird

"I don't like the way people are looking at us," Ste brought to Josh's attention. They were at the park. Really it was too cold for most to be kicking the soccer ball around, but after all they were natives to the village. Ste could very well wear shorts in the dead of winter and still suffice.

"I'm sure its nothing." Josh just smile, telling him to ignore them.

"But what did I do?" Ste looked distressed. "I hide in my room most days as it is, and was I that awful?"

"You haven't always been on the right side of the tracks." Josh winced. "But it doesn't matter now, you know. "

"I guess." Ste squinted back. "Its just, you know, what if its the people who are expecting a monster and you feel you have to give in..."

"But you won't." Josh came over and patted Ste's back. "You will just have to show them, you are different, now."

"And how would I do that?" Ste looked at him out of the corner of his eye.

"Maybe we can find you something to do at the library." Josh nodded.

"I can't even read." Ste winced.

"Well, we have CD books you could listen too." Josh reminded him."I guess we'll just have to teach you to read, won't we?"

"Suppose." Ste looked back at him.

2 comments:

ellie said...

I think Josh is being a great friend to Ste.

cass and cady said...

Josh really is sweet to Ste.